Your Cart Is Empty!
Brief Overview About Efudex Cream
Efudex cream consists of Fluorouracil generic drug. Efudex cream helps in treatment of scaly overgrowths of the skin such as actinic or solar Kerasotes.
Efudex cream is a miraculous cream for person who is suffering from precancerous skin conditions. With regular usage, beneficial results are seen. Efudex cream in concentration of 5% is also used for the treatment of superficial basal cell carcinoma.
Efudex cream acquires antineoplastic properties. Efudex cream is also used in the preventive treatment of some types of skin cancers of head and neck region, anus, stomach, and breast.
How Efudex Cream Works?
Fluorouracil medicine functions by inhibition the synthesis of thymidylate synthase enzyme. This further result in formation of Thymidylate from uracil. Thymidylate plays a very crucial role in the generation of the DNA, and RNA of the cells. This results in stoppage of formation of DNA, and RNA synthesis of the cells, and results in cell death. Thus, inhibition of DNA synthesis by Fluorouracil results in cell death of the precancerous lesions.
How To Apply Efudex Cream?
Efudex cream can be applied to the skin lesion once or twice a day. The cream should efficiently cover the lesions. Efudex cream should be applied until the lesion reaches the erosion stage, after that discontinue using it. Efudex cream is commercially available in the dosage strength of 5%. The duration of the treatment should be limited three to six weeks only, but not more than ten to twelve weeks.
What Are The Medical Conditions In Which Efudex Cream Is Contraindicated?
- Efudex cream should not be given to women who are pregnant or expecting pregnancy in future, as there are chances of damage to the fetus. If Fluorouracil is given to a pregnant women it can result in risk of multiple pregnancies, and birth defects (cleft lip, cleft palate, ventricular septal defect). This medicine consists of teratogenic properties.
- Efudex cream should also not be used in the patients who are allergic or hypersensitive to the generic drug.
- Do not use this medication if you are suffering from a deficiency of dihydropyramidine - dehydrogenase DPD enzyme, as it can result in systemic toxicity like stomatitis, diarrhea, and neurotoxicity
Drug Interaction Of Efudex Cream
- Efudex cream increases the prothrombin time in patients who are under Warfarin.
- Avoid taking antiviral drugs, as it can interfere with the function of Efudex cream.
Side Effects Of Efudex Cream
Skin irritation, burning, redness, dryness, pain, and swelling of the skin, irritation of the eyes, trouble sleeping, and abnormal taste in mouth are some of the common side effects that are seen in the patients. These effects tend to resolve on their own if they tend to worsen discontinue the use of cream and contact your health care, provider.
Warnings And Safety Precautions To Be Followed While Application Of Efudex Cream
- Do not use Efudex cream in children younger than 18 years of age.
- Efudex cream should not be applied on the mucous membrane because there are chances of local inflammation and ulceration of the skin.
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight after using Efudex cream, so use protective clothing or sunscreen after using this medicine.